Tuesday, April 22, 2008

What's coming up

The strategies that I will be using this week will be: 3X5 cards, associating ideas, making personal connections, SQ3R (survey, question, read, recite, and review).
The week ahead holds many challenges for me...up until this week I have been doing well in my on-line math class. I still understand the concepts that we are learning. The only problem is that this week there are so many formulas to remember that I am getting a little nervous. If I had time perhaps it would not be so bad, but I have just been introduced to these formulas and the test is Thursday. So my immediate plan is to make 3X5 cards that have the formulas on them, along with any type of examples or personal associations I can make that will enable me to memorize them. I will be studying these cards every time I have a few minutes to spare, it will probably average out to about 30 minutes each day. Another thing that I am going to do is to meet with my professor during his office hours to get some outside help and to see if he has any suggestions on how to make the formulas stick so that I can pass the test and hopefully remember the concepts for the next time that I need them; like the final exam thats coming up in a few weeks.

I plan to use the SQ3R in my counseling 151 class. In this class I have noticed that my main goal is just to get the assignments completed, with little care to what I actually take from the homework. So my plan for this is to put some time into. I know that SQ3R takes alot more time than just reading through it so that is where I plan to begin.

These skills are important to accomplish the tasks that I need to because witout them I would have no idea how to prepare for a test or how to really achieve the most out of my learning and the time I put into it. All of the study/reading stratgies that I have choosen will allow me to get the best benefit from my studying and will also hone the skills themselves. For the most part becoming an active student is new to me, and by practicing these skills often soon they will become like second nature and natural to me.

No comments: